Four years ago we had the phenomenal opportunity to quit our corporate day jobs and take over Retro Den. Would you indulge us as we share some, "did you knows" about the shop and us Ashleys who run it?
Things you may not know about ol' Retro Den
- We found out Retro Den was for sale on a Saturday and we bought it on a Tuesday. Palmer quit her job that night and I did the next day.
- Palmer broached the subject of owning a shop with me eight months before while we were painting together at her house. I was delighted because I'd already been toying with a vintage Etsy shop called Saturday Chic with the tagline, "My goal is to only sell things so beautiful they hurt me to part with. Cheers to my pain and your gain!"
- We actually started making plans for a shop January of 2013, and we met on a weekly basis to create a business plan. We both showed up with sketchbooks to take notes (not notebooks or computers). We had a five year plan to own a storefront.
Retro Den Ashley facts
Behind every small business there are people working hard, putting their hearts into their product. Take a closer look at us; we hope you aren't shocked by these insider details about us.
- Palmer has her Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and worked in data collection and statistical analysis for a personality assessment firm before she became a Tulsa small business owner.
- Palmer attended Union High School.
- Her beautiful brain runs the Retro Den business books.
- Palmer was once an intensely avid scrapbooker. Chew on that.
- Daly worked in marketing and fundraising and had most recently worked in the marketing department at a local hospital.
- Daly attended Jenks High School, where she was Homecoming Queen and voted "Most Friendly." Please feel free to tease her.
- Daly likes to set arbitrary social media rules like when to use certain hashtags and what type of posts we have to do each day.
- Met their husbands in college, who were, funnily enough, in the same music fraternity.
- We both do the Instagram pictures and captions. People try to guess who does them, but it's the rare person who can tell. Even good friends can't.
- Did you know both our middle names are Ashley also? Ashley Ashley Palmer and Ashley Ashley Daly? This is not a true fact. Wouldn't it be great if it was true? However, our daughter's middle names are both Ashley. Caroline Ashley Palmer and Harriet Ashley Daly. Also, sadly an untrue fact. I could go on.
- We wear vintage underwear. Like we say of our furniture–it's just made better. Also not true. Sorry. Only true stuff now.
- We both have big dogs! Walter Daly and Sagan Palmer.
- We both had the exact same living-room rug, shower curtain, and wallet when we first started the shop. When our wallets wore out, Daly insisted we both get the same new ones. And we did. #hearts
- We love to craft–we spent our college days as friends doing "crafternoons." Valentines, painting, gluing things to other things.
- Both straight A students. Well, Daly made an 89.7 in her college photography class, and she'll never forgive herself.
- We both love food. It's a unique friendship feature that we can order for one another without conferring before hand.
Now that you know a bit more about us and how much our shop means to us, come celebrate Retro Den's fourth birthday on Saturday, April 15th, with our fun annual sale of 25% off everything in the store including plants and locally made items!* Happy fourth birthday, Retro Den!
*This excludes our Gus* Modern furniture line.
Want your home to match your heart? We are two Ashleys who can help!